Sunday, January 29, 2012

John 14:15 He Who Loves Me (part 2)


Hello!  Welcome back to this weeks Bible Study in John (we are still experiencing difficulties at ODBD so I'll be posting here, too.)

John 14:15  He Who Loves Me (Part 2)
Last time in our study we looked at verses 12-14 and the thought of “He Who Believes in Me”.  Today we will take a look at verse 15 and “He Who Loves Me” although I suppose, most of the readers are female, so I should rename it “She Who Love Me” ;-)

If you are new to the study (and even if you are not!) please read from verse 1.  It’s important not to lose the continuity or context of what is being said.  John did not write one sentence and then two weeks later add a couple more!  We can get misguided by taking things out of context and that is how false doctrines get started.  Please take a moment to pray and prepare your hearts to receive the Word today and that the Holy Spirit will teach us His truths.
John 14:1 
If you love Me, keep My commandments. (NKJV)
If ye love me, keep my commandments. (KJV)
If you love me, obey my commandments. (NLT)
If you love me, you will obey what I command. (NIV)
If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (ESV)
If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. ( NASB)
If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments.  (ASV)
If ye love me, my commands keep, (YLT)

I love looking at all the different versions and translations to get a better understanding of a verse or word. You cannot question what is being said here. If you love Jesus, obey His Word. This is simple truth and very compelling.
The Greek transliteration for “keep” is tereo - the meaning is to: attend to carefully, take care of, take heed to, observe.  (Strongs #5083 / Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words)

This verse is huge (spiritually speaking) and the theme of “keeping” His commandments will be repeated three times in this chapter, one in the negative sense.  (verses: 21, 23, 24)
Evidence of our love for the Lord is obedience to His Word.  I do not think we should take this lightly or make excuses for not obeying.  Notice the word “if” in the verse.  That word denotes a condition.  If we love Jesus... we will keep/obey His commands.  Now this is impossible without Christ in us and the Holy Spirit to guide us, which leads us to the next verse but I do not want to skim over the importance of our loving obedience to Christ. So, I will save that until next time.
Jesus has set the example for us in His love and obedience to the Father.  We are called to follow Him (Read: John 10:27; 12:26; 1 Peter 2:21 ).

Here are some other verses to reflect on and hopefully memorize especially when we are tempted to disobey.

 “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”1 John 2:3-4
  And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 1 John 3:22

 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:2-3
 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3

 I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. Revelation 3:8
 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. Revelation 14:12
"Behold, I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book."  Revelation 22:7

 Then he said to me, "See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God."  Revelation 22:9
Next time we will be looking at how the Holy Spirit helps us live this Christian life as God would have us live it.  What a gift we have in the Holy Spirit who helps us live obedient lives to glorify the Father through our obedience and love of Jesus. 
Thanks for studying with me and I hope that you are growing in your love and knowledge of God's Word and in your relationship with our Savior Jesus Christ.  Please keep me lifted up in prayer as we continue this study.  I covet your prayers!
Affectionately,
Natalie



Photobucket




1 comment:

  1. OH! What a verse/scripture to share! Many of us (me included) think that if we love Jesus that is enough sometimes. And how often do I NOT obey? WOW! I shall put this as my memory verse for this month. I agree--looking at the same verse in many translations is interesting--and sometimes SUPER helpful! I love how you are sharing Jesus' love and God's Word with all in blogland! THANKS so much! Praise the Lord:) Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete