Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rusted Enamel Tag technique - Word Art Wednesday #24

 Hello Delightful friends and family,
I've been having fun experimenting with different techniques (while watching the SF Giants play on TV!) and I love the look of this one called Rusted Enamel (Tim Holtz technique).  It's a cool technique and pretty easy to do and I love this color combo.  The only thing is I think my Stazon Ink pad is needing to be refilled so the stamped images are not as pronounced as I would have liked. I've been using tags (this particular one is from Ranger, #8 size : 6-1/2" x 3-1/8" Manila colored) which is perfect for tryout the distress and mixed media techniques.  I want to eventually use a canvas but I'd like to play around on a smaller less expensive medium first.


Here are the steps to create the background on the tag before stamping.
You'll need 2 Ranger Distress Inks, I've used Broken China and Frayed Burlap and clear embossing powder (I've used Ranger Clear Embossing Powder)  for this tag.  You will want to use a Non Stick Craft Sheet (Ranger) on your craft table surface.

Step 1: Cover the tag in the Broken China color using the stamp pad itself.
Step 2: Immediately cover the tag with embossing powder and then flick the back of the tag to remove the excess. 
Step 2: Heat emboss the tag with your heat gun.  Be careful the embossing powder melts and is hot to touch. Let it cool
Step 3:  Using a blending tool go over the entire tag with the brown ink
Step 4: Wipe off excess ink with cloth or paper towel.
Step 5: Stamp your design

This close up really shows the texture of the embossed technique and the the brown color in the grooves.


Same technique using Distress Ink, Peeled Paint and I tried using Aged Mahogany Distress Stain (instead of the stamp pad)and it worked just fine. I put a little puddle of the stain on my craft sheet and worked it onto the tag using a Blending Tool (Ranger). 

Other supplies used:  Stamps from Taylored Expressions, Ranger Dylusions and Our Daily Bread; Stazon jet black ink pad; Black Sharpie pen; Claudine Helmuth Studio Paint (color: Dab of Yellow) Distress Ink, Pine Needles (shading of leaves on tree and trunk) and Q-tips.

I've entered this tag at the Word Art Wednesday Challenge #24
I learned this technique at our local scrapbook store, Scrapper's Edge a couple of years ago at the Distress to Impress Class #1.

"In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your path."  Proverbs 3:6

Thanks for visiting!
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome technique - this is just beautiful! Thanks SO MUCH for joining the challenge this week at Word Art Wednesday and sharing this gorgeous tag with us. We love to learn from our friends and see the techniques they use to create art. You are such a blessing to me!
    Hugs,
    Karen L
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! This is too cool! Thanks for sharing how you made this - it's so fun! Love your project. Hope you are having a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie I am also wanting to try some of the mixed media, but a little scared, but girl with this tag, I think you are ready! Beautiful my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible what you've done with the inking! I love the stamps you've used as well! Thank you for joining us at Word Art Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tag. Love the colors and the sun on it.
    Thanks for playing along with WAW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to showcase the technique. So very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete